Purpose-Driven Content: Your Essential Guide
Have you created and implemented a purpose-driven marketing campaign for your business? Does it rely on a comprehensive purpose-driven content strategy? If you haven’t, it might explain why your profits haven’t yet reached the levels you were dreaming of. There are several reasons why you should definitely have a strategy.
Here is what a CONE study report released this year says about Americans and your target audience:
- 78% believe that, besides making money, businesses should positively impact society
- 77% experience stronger connections to purpose-driven companies compared to traditional ones
- 66% are willing to give up their typical products of choice in favor of new products belonging to purpose-driven companies
- 68% feel more inclined to share purpose-driven content over traditional content
Otherwise put, investing in purpose content marketing will help you:
- Win your place in the market if you are just starting your activity, or consolidate it if you already have a history
- Build stronger ties to your target audience compared to competitors who still use traditional marketing
- Convince target customers to choose your products over your competitors’
- Convince your target audience to share your content and expand your reach
Of course, before you invest any money, you should learn all about the object of your investment. We will provide the information and advice you need below.
What Is Purpose Driven Content? All about Purpose in a Content Marketing Strategy
Purpose marketing is not new. It has been around for years. Joe Pulizzi wrote about it for the Content Marketing Institute as early as 2008. He quoted Stengel’s definition of purpose and purpose-based marketing: a company’s activity beyond profits and how that company makes its customer lives better.
Content is one of the most accessible and effective ways for a company to define its activity beyond profits and show how it can improve customer lives. Implicitly, purpose-driven content marketing is a way for businesses to bond with their target audience starting from common needs and interests, namely interest in a particularly worthy cause.
Popular brands worldwide have been successful using purpose content marketing for years. Reviewing some examples may help you get an idea of how you could approach purpose-based content marketing for your business.
5 Examples of World-Famous Brands with Successful Purpose-Driven Content Marketing Campaigns:
- Procter & Gamble – Pampers won over parents by teaching them how to raise healthy, happy babies through purpose content marketing and supporting child-related causes.
- H&M – The Swedish group won over a huge customer base with its sustainable fashion policy. The advice they provide on caring for, revamping and recycling clothes is an excellent example of purpose-driven content marketing.
- Dove – The cosmetics company made boosting women’s self-esteem a purpose, and their content does a great job serving that purpose. From providing general information about low self-esteem and its consequences to providing advice and encouragement to women all over the world, they do a great job bonding with their target audience.
- Uber – The rideshare company promotes its services as a solution to decrease drunk driving. Their Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) and Bars Against Drunk Driving (BADD) are excellent examples of purpose content marketing.
- Nestle Crunch – Their purpose-driven content marketing campaign uses girl scouts stories to bond with customers. They also get customers involved by offering them a chance to win themselves by sharing stories.
The list could continue, but you surely get the basics: if you want to reach, engage, and convert, you need to serve a greater purpose, to pursue a greater good. That is easier said than done, considering that each business is unique and you need to stay original and capture the interest of your target audience.
We are here to help, so we will now review the steps you need to cover. As a small company with a local focus, you may want to choose a community-centered purpose. It will help you create a stronger bond with your target audience and allow you to actually make a difference and create a name for yourself in the community.
3 Basic Steps to Successful Purpose Content Marketing for Small Local Businesses
1. Find Your Purpose
You can find ideas and inspiration everywhere around you. You can adhere to a cause of worldwide interest, but give it a local, community-centered twist. You will need to do your research and make sure your target audience resonates with your purpose. Otherwise, your efforts will be in vain.
It is very important to choose a purpose that really matters to you, one you understand and genuinely wish to serve. Also, avoid harming causes your audience cares about. If you do not stay true to the principles you promote or you harm the causes your audience supports, your strategy could backfire.
Remember the scandal around Go Daddy CEO’s elephant hunt! Go Daddy lost quite a few customers due to the fact that their CEO harmed an elephant and stirred the anger of animal lovers worldwide. Imagine what may have happened if the purpose of their marketing campaign had revolved around wildlife protection or animal welfare.
Namecheap took advantage of the situation at the time by launching a purpose-driven content marketing campaign in which they invited Go Daddy subscribers who shared their vision to transfer their accounts at a discounted price. They even promised to donate $1 for every account to Save the Elephants.
2. Create a Purpose-Driven Content Marketing Strategy
Your purpose is useless if you do not market it properly. To do that, you will need a plan covering content topics, creation, publishing, and promotion. Your strategy should rely on regularly publishing original, custom-created, data-driven, catchy content that:
- Presents your cause and its importance to your audience
- Explains why you have chosen the respective cause and how you plan to support it
- Motivates your audience to get involved and support your cause and your efforts
- Keeps your audience up to date with your achievements and initiatives
- Continually expands your audience, keeps them engaged, and converts them into paying customers
- Follows all the already proven content guidelines and practices.
Creating an effective content marketing strategy takes knowledge, experience and skills; the ability to keep up with trends and familiarity with research, creation, and publishing tools. It takes the ability to put together thousands of pieces in a puzzle that, once completed, offers a clear and irresistible image of your business and everything it has to offer.
3. Implement and Improve the Purpose Content Marketing Strategy
Many businesses devise promising purpose-based content strategies but do a poor job implementing them. They entrust the content creation and publishing process to amateurs or cheap service providers to diminish costs. Their content not only fails to attract and engage their target audience but even puts the company in a bad light.
If you want your purpose content marketing efforts to pay off, you need to work with content marketing specialists who understand your purpose and can present it to your audience in an appealing manner. You need high-quality content that follows your already created strategy and sends a cohesive message that your audience will gladly embrace and help spread.
Get Help with Your Purpose-Driven Content Marketing Campaign!
You know your business better than anyone, and maybe you already have a purpose for it. Unfortunately, putting knowledge into words, ranking high with the search engines, raising awareness, and converting your audience into paying customers, all at the same time, is not easy.
At Iris Content, we have been doing it successfully for hundreds of clients. We love creating and implementing purpose-driven content strategies, and we have the tools, resources, knowledge, and experience required to do it successfully.
Our writers dive deep into the specifics of each business and purpose, and they carefully study their audiences. They follow content strategies closely and put together facts and experiences in catchy content pieces that readers can never resist and always want more of.
If that is what you want, contact us now and tell us a little bit more about your business and your purpose content marketing plans. Ask any questions you may have, or give our content writing services a try! We will not disappoint you!
Trust Iris Content with Your Brand
When it comes time to pick a content provider, a bargain isn't always the best way to go. Content is more than filler; it's what draws visitors to your site, but inspired content keeps them there. It keeps them coming back. Content is a relationship. It's your brand. We get it. Furthermore, we can deliver it. Contact us today for a quote.