Should Influencer Marketing Still Be Part of Your Content Marketing Game?
Influencer marketing has grown quite rapidly during the last two years or so. The positive effect of influencer marketing on marketing campaigns and profits have made it an integral component of an effective marketing strategy.
The primary goal of influencer marketing is to create an emotional connection between a particular brand and the target customers. This connection is based on maximizing the customer experience and their journey towards learning about the brand, experiencing it and being satisfied with it. Different influencers and content marketing channels can be used to create this connection to maximize customer experience.
Research by Activate by Bloglovin shows that approximately 67% of marketers believe that influencer marketing has helped them reach a more targeted audience. However, despite the strong impact of influencer marketing campaigns, 41% companies indicate that they spend less than 5% of their budgets on it.
Scope of Influencer Marketing in 2018
There is no doubt that influencer marketing will still be part of the content marketing game in 2018. In fact, there is a very high probability that companies will begin to allocate more funds towards influencer marketing. Companies will continue to increase their focus on leveraging influencers to strengthen their brands.
While the last two years saw blogs as the primary vehicle for influencer marketing activities, content marketing in 2018 will see the utilization of other social media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram. Not only do these platforms provide access to a large audience but they also offer tools for branding and marketing as well as analysis.
It is also expected that in order to make influencer marketing activities a more effective part of content marketing in 2018, more tools will be developed that will help marketers monetize content distribution and maximize reach.
Types of Influencers
There are three types of influencers: mega-influencers macro-influencers and micro-influencers. When influencer marketing was initially implemented by marketers, their focus had typically been in the top 1% of influencers. 2017 saw some marketers spreading their wings and bringing in micro influencers into the fold of influencer marketing. This was because they realized the important role micro influencers could play for brands. Micro influencers can often turn out to be more effective as they have a tendency to engage on a more personal level with their followers and have a tendency to use a more personal touch during these interactions.
Content marketing in 2018 will not only continue this focus on micro influencers but will also actually focus more on integrating all three categories. In addition, marketers should be capitalizing more on word-of-mouth strategies and should try to penetrate a wider target audience through the use of loyalty and referral programs.
Influencer Marketing Trends in 2018
All in all, it is safe to assume that influencer marketing will continue to be a critical element of content marketing in 2018. In summary, some expected trends in 2018 related to influencer marketing include:
- Both brands and influencers will become more transparent about their partnership. This is not only good for establishing credibility among your target audience but also because the FTC has specifically stated that brands and influencers need to disclose that they are working together and that a particular influencer is being compensated for promoting a certain brand.
- Influencer marketing will not be confined to blogs and Instagram but will also utilize other platforms including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, Snapchat and any other online platforms where the brand’s target audience is likely to be found.
- Influencer marketing activities for content marketing in 2018 will also see greater use of influencer marketing tools such as TapInflunce and Upfluence. These platforms can help marketers find influencers and better manage their workflow.
- Marketers will also use more analytical tools to measure the effectiveness of their influencer marketing efforts. This means that companies will closely monitor their influencer marketing campaign and will track how much revenue generation was due to influencer marketing activities. By doing so, businesses can gauge whether they are putting their efforts in the right direction and if they need to change any of their plans for content marketing in 2018.
- Content marketing in 2018 will also see an increased focus on the quality of the content. Influencer marketing campaigns will not focus on generic ad campaigns but would rely on relevant, original and informative content.
If you are interested in maximizing your influencer marketing efforts in 2018, you will have to focus more on content and content distribution. At Iris Content, we have a team of content writers who are aware of the important role content will play in content marketing in 2018. We can help you develop the right content for your marketing activities and to use the right words to connect with your targeted customers. Call us today, and we will make sure that your content marketing efforts are effective and can help you enhance the experience of your target customers.
Chief Content Officer
Annie has 20 years of experience as an editor and content creator and manager. With work in television and written media, she has dedicated her past 10 years to learning the ropes of online content creation, from writing to editing, from SEO to content management.
Want new articles before they get published?