How to Become a Thought Leader People Will Pay Attention To
Very few people are born to be leaders. But those who want to lead know that it requires hard work and dedication. Becoming a thought leader is not something that happens overnight. Thought leaders are generally people who have obtained the right credentials through hard work and effort and have also acquired experience through practical and hands-on training. Thought leaders also have a bona fide character of trust and honesty and generally, enjoy an excellent reputation within their field.
In the past becoming a thought leader was fairly more complex. Exposure was limited and it usually took a long time for someone to get recognized. Today with the Internet making all things accessible and communication much more easy and simple, the path to becoming a thought leader is a little easier because one can reach mass audiences instantly.
If you want to be a thought leader, you should consider the following:
- Develop an identity: In order to become a thought leader, you need to have a unique brand or identity. The public needs to recognize you or your product or services. Your product or brand also needs to be associated with integrity. Let’s take the example of Apple. It is a company that is globally recognized for its excellent products. It offers great service and high-quality products. It is true that everybody cannot be Apple but the message here is that it takes time and effort to provide value with what you have to offer. In this age of rapid communication, too many people come up get-rich-quick ideas which never live up to expectations. If you really want to become someone people will take seriously, you need to have credibility. Otherwise, your reign is likely to be short-term.
- Start a blog: One of the best and easiest ways to become a thought leader today is by starting a blog. You can create your own web page, offer insight and inspiring information on your page and give it credibility by offering accurate and original content. If there is one thing that will still see growth, it is content creation in 2018. Make sure you update the page regularly and reply to your readers when they make comments. Never post a reply on a whim – think about what you want to say and say it in the best possible way. The internet may be a great forum to become a leader but poorly selected words can also lead to your downfall.
- Do something unique: One of the biggest difficulties today is finding a niche; an area where you can excel in and where you are confident you can make a difference. These days almost everyone has an idea and wants to develop it. This does not mean that you have nothing new to offer. There are still many opportunities out there. But you just have to make sure you find the right one. Even if you do not have a unique idea or service, you can pick up on something which is already available and make it better. Specialize in something that is useful, that people want or need or develop something that is of practical use. Whatever you do, it must be bona fide. The world already has enough charlatans and scam artists to deal with. Do not think of overnight success schemes because they usually don’t last long. You may get to the top fast, but you can also fall back down just as fast.
- Work with pioneers: Every successful thought leader has to start The best way to find your calling is work with opinion leaders and influences – people who are already influencing the population. Work with these people and learn from them. There are many open-minded and creative people out there who are willing to share their ideas. These people can provide you pointers or set you in a direction which can help you pave your own path. Sometimes, all one needs is the right direction. If you work hard and are persistent, these influencers can open many doors for you.
- Build a team: Becoming a thought leader today requires that you follow a team approach. One needs connections to get to the right people. The more contacts you have, the more likely it is that you will climb the ladder to leadership. Contacts listen to what you have to say and then pass on the message to others and over time, this builds credibility and authenticity.
- Use the Web: To become well known you need to go beyond your own blog. Join social media and participate on other platforms. Guest blog on sites where other influential leaders also participate. You have to get people to notice your name and your ideas.
- Do not be disruptive: While it is nice to come up with new and unique ideas, one should not come up with something that is likely to be disruptive and destroy convention. If you have something controversial to say, make sure you can back up your arguments. In general, people like to go with the flow and disrupting the flow usually makes things worse. That does not mean you should keep a closed mind, but you should always think about what you want to say and to whom. Many careers have been lost by people who have said the wrong thing to the wrong people.
- Learn to be patient: Success often comes to people who have worked hard and paid their dues. There is no substitute for hard work. Everyone wants to be successful and everyone wants to make their mark. Hence, the competition to get to the top is intense. Take your time and do not cut corners. Once you have created a persona of honesty and trust, your time will come and you will become a leader that people can rely on and that people can take seriously.
At Iris Content, we realize the important role words can play in communicating your message and your ideas. Call us today for any content writing needs and we will be happy to assist you.
Chief Content Officer
Annie has 20 years of experience as an editor and content creator and manager. With work in television and written media, she has dedicated her past 10 years to learning the ropes of online content creation, from writing to editing, from SEO to content management.
Contact Annie for more news about the content marketing world
Want new articles before they get published?