What Do You Write About When You Are Running Out of Content Ideas?
With so much information already out there in the digital media today, people can often be stumped about what they should write next. After all, there are websites and blogs on nearly every topic in the world – ranging from books, movies, music to business, finance and publishing. There is literally nothing that you cannot find on the Internet today.
For bloggers and writers, this can pose a significant challenge. After all, the ultimate goal of online content is to provide your audience with something fresh and unique. Finding that perfectly fresh and unique topic is however not always that easy.
If you are in a similar situation and need a topic to write about, here are a few ideas as to how you can still come up with something interesting and informative:
- Identify the Hottest Stories: No matter what your industry or niche, there is something going on somewhere. If you want to stay on top of your game and deliver something read-worthy to your audience, identify the hot topics, the popular trends, and the most-talked-about That generally works when you are looking for some inspiration.
- Go for a How-to-Guide or Tutorial: When in doubt, opt for something that you know about quite well. You could do a How-to-Guide or a tutorial and/or advice column. This is a good idea not only when you have run out of ideas but also because “how-to” articles tend to rank well in Google. As long as it’s something you know about and can teach well, go for it.
- Conduct Interviews – Interview pieces generally have high readership. You can conduct these interviews either in person, over the phone or through email. The goal should be to interview someone who holds some kind of authority in the industry or someone who has a good following and is popular among your target audience. It doesn’t have to be a thesis; it can be a simple Q&A with a short but interesting introduction and conclusion.
- Do a List-Post: Similar to How-to guides, list posts are also very popular among readers. Find an interesting topic, make sure it is something you know about and then compile a list of related items, issues, and other relevant material. List posts are fairly easy to write. People love to read them and that is probably why listicles continue to remain popular among bloggers.
- Review a Book: Most writers are also avid readers. When you are unsure of what to write about or when there is nothing significant that you can find in your area of interest or segment, you could always review a book. Just make sure the book you choose is interesting and something that you know your audience will enjoy reading about. Book reviews can be very enjoyable to both read and write and are also a good tool to engage with your audience. If you have some tidbit about the author – a quote, a preview chapter of their new book or any other interesting news, you can put that in too with your review making it even more enjoyable for your audience.
- Keep a Close Eye on Your Competitors: This does not mean you just copy what your competitors are talking about but it is always a good idea to keep an eye on what other people within your industry are doing. This will help you identify what’s working for them and what’s not working for them. Content analysis of your competitors can help you generate new ideas and can also ensure you don’t fall behind them. After all, the goal of content marketing is to keep up with your competitors and you don’t want to make the mistake of ignoring what your competition is doing.
Current trends clearly show that for content marketing success, you need to ensure that the content you produce is original and interesting. Iris Content has an experienced team of content writers with a combined content creation experience of more than fifty years. Our content marketing experts have the skills and the expertise to provide you the copywriting help you need. Whether it’s a blog post or an industry article; whether you need content for your website or an interview piece on a key opinion leader, Iris Content is here to provide you the help you need with unique, informative and SEO optimized content.
Chief Content Officer
Annie has 20 years of experience as an editor and content creator and manager. With work in television and written media, she has dedicated her past 10 years to learning the ropes of online content creation, from writing to editing, from SEO to content management.
Contact Annie for more news about the content marketing world.
Want new articles before they get published?